Lists of routes & operators at selected dates 1924-2015 & major changes 1981-2010
This page sets out to give an overview of the Sydney metropolitan private bus route scene from 1924 to the present.
Firstly, it contains lists of routes and operators at the following dates, which are significant for the reasons shown:
- 1924 – Following the first allocation of route numbers.
- Second half 1925 – When the enduring 1925 route number system had started.
- 31 October 1931 – Immediately prior to the implementation of the State Transport (Co-ordination) Act of 1931, when many private bus routes ceased.
- 1 March 1937 – When the Department of Road Transport & Tramways took over 15 private bus routes as part of a policy of progressive consolidation of ownership under a single operator, where routes were in territory that was competitive with Government bus routes.
- 1 January 1960 – When the post-World War II population boom had resulted in Sydney’s suburbs expanding to the south, west and north of the CBD and many new private bus routes had started to serve the new suburbs.
- 1 January 1980 – Shortly before the start of the process to renumber bus routes into the Sydney Region Route Number System.
- 1 January 2005 – Shortly after completion of the renumbering of metropolitan private bus routes into the Sydney Region Route Number System, but prior to the contract reviews which commenced in 2006.
- 1 July 2010 – Following the completion of the contract reviews conducted by the Ministry of Transport (now Transport for NSW) in the wake of amendments to the Passenger Transport Act, which changed the style of Government management of private bus services.
- 1 July 2015 - Showing some changes of operator after tenders had been called for most regions.
Secondly, to supplement these lists, are three items which summarise major changes to private bus routes between 1981 and 2010:
- a table showing the renumbering of Sydney private bus routes (in numerical order) from the 1925 number system to the Sydney Region Route Number System between 1981 and 2004;
- a table showing the renumbering of Sydney private bus routes (in chronological order) from the 1925 number system to the Sydney Region Route Number System between 1981 and 2004; and
- a series of lists showing details of the regional reviews by the Ministry of Transport 2006-2010 (by region).